RE: Simple editing - willingness versus competence

Subject: RE: Simple editing - willingness versus competence
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:56:38 -0700

Kevin wrote:

> There's been a rash, lately, of people posting the entirety
> of a previous message _ including the listserv-generated
> administrivia _ with no slightest attempt to edit. As if we
> all wanted to see the whole thing over and over...
>
> Imagine if this list had a digest function - those recipients
> would be _livid_ at having to wade through the miles of crud,
> just to get to the next message in a digest.

The essay Kevin recalled is "The Inappropriate Posting Scenario":
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/humor/scenario.html

As Suzanne noted, there is a digest option. And that leads to the most
egregious variant of what Kevin is complaining about (there was an
instance just yesterday), the one that caused me to give up digests.
It's item E in the essay cited above.

The tipoff to this particular bit of thoughtlessness/cluelessness is a
subject line like "RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 13, Issue 5." Inevitably,
the poster of said missive quotes the _entire_digest_.

When it happens on a Sunday, and there are only two or three messages in
the digest being quoted, it's only mildly annoying (an annoyance not at
all assuaged by 60s flower-child treacle like "Desiderata").

When the quoted digest contains 65 posts, and you can't even tell from
the poster's reply which of them he/she is responding to, and (if you're
reading it in the next digest) it takes you five minutes to find the end
of that &$#%*@ post, well... "livid" probably fits.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs