Re: Portfolio Packaging

Subject: Re: Portfolio Packaging
From: Laura Lemay <lemay-lists1 -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:47:16 -0800

On Nov 8, 2006, at 10:22 AM, John Posada wrote:

My portfolio is a leather binder with zipper and the contents are in
plastic sleeves or pockets divided by tabs for general categories of
material. Electronic deliverables are on labeled CDs, each in their
own pocket holder.

The last time we had this conversation John mentioned his leather binder and I suffered a violent attack of portfolio envy. My old portfolio was fine, nothing special. It prevented my samples from falling on the floor. Leather binder? Oooh. Ahhh.

I admit I shamelessly stole John's idea (thanks, John). My new portfolio is also a big leather zip portfolio from an artist's supply store. It has a handle and looks like a briefcase. Inside it I have a three-ring-binder with all my samples, each page in a plastic sheet cover. I printed my samples in color. I don't customize the portfolio for each job; I bring everything along. I started doing that after someone asked me if I had ever done X and I said yes but I didn't have that sample with me at the time. @*# -at- #*&. There's room in the binder -- might as well bring it all. I just have to be prepared about what to talk about for the specific job and make it easy to find.

For each interview I do print out three or four samples that are specific to that job (in B&W) -- copyable and non-proprietary -- and leave those with the interviewer with my resume and business cards. The binder always comes home with me.

Something I really want to add to my portfolio and my samples is a an overview/job sheet for each sample that explains what the audience and the goals were for the job, the tools I used to create it, any special challenges I had, or why that sample is unique. I haven't gotten around to that part yet because I've been too busy putting pages inside sheet covers. :)

Has the new portfolio gotten me work? Not sure yet. It has been frequently commented on: "that's the most professional portfolio I've ever seen." I can't draw a direct correlation but it certainly hasn't hurt.

Laura
now in leather (smile)

--
Laura Lemay Killer of Trees lemay % lne.com lemay % gmail.com