RE: Naming NAME fields (was RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedura l Info

Subject: RE: Naming NAME fields (was RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedura l Info
From: "Sarah Bouchier" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:27:47 -0000

On the other hand, you may want to consider the possibility of
Westerners entering data for non-Westerners. In the product I'm working
with, for example, the First Name and Last Name fields crop up only when
an existing user is creating a new user account on the system.

On the third? fourth? hand, the Westerner may be unaware that the first
and last names are the other way around for some cultures, so the poor
non-Westerner will end up with the wrong names in the wrong boxes
however you label 'em.

Sucks to be a minority culture.

>I'd guess that
>the percentage of non-Westerners confused by the common
>Western terminology FirstName/Last Name, especially when
>presented in English language forms or dialog boxes, is
>less than or equal to the percentage of Westerners who
>would be confused by the less common terminology Family
>Name/Given Name.

S.
---
Sarah Bouchier