Freelancers in China?

Subject: Freelancers in China?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:23:00 -0500

Erika Yanovich wonders: <<Our firm bought a small R&D facility in Beijing and the products they develop need to be documented, of course. The work volume does not necessitate a full time writer there, so I was thinking more in the direction of a local freelancer. Is there such a thing in China? Is there a pool of experienced tech writers to choose from?>>

Try contacting my colleague Wang Xiaochong ("Derek") at Alliance Localization (http://www.allocalization.com/)--mention my name. His company mostly goes from other languages into Chinese, but they have a network of people who can go into other languages from Chinese, and he may be able to connect you with local freelancers with expertise writing in English.

Disclaimer: I've known Wang since 2002 (met him briefly in Beijing) and have corresponded on and off since then, so he's become a good e- mail friend. That being said, he's got a great client-care program to help Westerner companies hop over the wall and move into China, and he's had some big-name clients in the past (Fortune 100).

There's also a fledgling STC chapter starting up in China, but the main person responsible for this effort has become seriously ill, and has had to step back and recover before she can continue. But in a year or so, there should be a decent community beginning to develop there.

www.geoff-hart.com