Re: OT? Videographers?

Subject: Re: OT? Videographers?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:05:20 -0500

Susan Hogarth wrote:

I (or my boss) is looking for a videographer in CA for a meeting we
are organizing. It's 6 hours over 2 days. The co-worker actually doing
the arrangements found a company that is quoting 1,600$ for one
cameraman for both days; but my boss is hoping for more like
$90-150/hr.
What's a reasonable rate? Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations (it's
in Burbank)? I'm thinking Craig's List. Help!

You can either get a high school kid using Mom and Dad's video camera, or a
professional job. It's all what you want and what your budget allows. Will
there be any post-production (editing, titling, voice overs, etc.) involved,
and if so, how much? Anything over four hours and you will pay a day rate -
$500 to $800 per day is not unreasonable. If you're asking for six hours
with the times blocked out so the videographer is tied up for two days, but
only paid for six hours, then you will pay a premium - up to $250 per hour.
If you schedule your shoots properly, you can minimize the cost considerably
and probably end up with a better product.
Craig's list is not necessarily cheaper, but you may get a cheaper product.
You need to review their samples and get deliverables defined. If you talk
over your project with the videographer, you may be amazed at their ideas
for lowering your costs while improving the end product.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to
answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt