Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Gena Shurtleff" <gena -at- originalgena -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:26:10 -0800

Hello,

On my team, we are working to improve our interview process. Our current
process relies mostly on what technical writers (or their references) think
their skills are and does not really give them much opportunity to exhibit
those skills. I am looking for suggestions from other writers on effective
ways to determine a candidate's true skill level with tools and writing
style.

Writing or Editing Tests

In the past, we have used this tool but we have gotten spotty results. I
think we could improve our process. If you have used writing or editing
tests effectively, how did you do this? Did you administer the test during
the interview or did you provide the candidates with the information in
advance?

Logic or Technical Questions

Have any of you used "whiteboard" questions during an interview? (By
whiteboard questions, I mean technical coding or logic questions where
interviewees write answers on the whiteboard.) If so, what questions do you
typically include? Have you found this to be a successful indicator of
performance?

Technical Tests

Have you used technical testing or basic skill tests to verify competency
with specific technology or tools? If so, how did you administer them? Did
you use a service? What kind of notice did you give to the applicants? Did
you find this to be a successful evaluation tool?

I would like to include this type of content in future interviews but I
would like to do so in a way that does not alienate potential applicants and
in a way that helps us identify the best candidates. I appreciate any
suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Gena

Gena Shurtleff

Principal Technical Writer

www.originalgena.com

<mailto:gena -at- originalgena -dot- com> gena -at- originalgena -dot- com