RE: Question of the Day

Subject: RE: Question of the Day
From: Lori Olcott <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:18:44 -0800 (PST)

Travel plans and maternity leave are actually very different things with
very different expectations attached.

If a potential employer knows about travel plans, they can expect you to
be gone 1-2 weeks. However, maternity leave can be anywhere from 1-3
months, plus all the newborn checkups and "Mom can't watch the baby today"
and all the other joys of early parenthood. Not all these problems will
crop up for every couple, but the expectation is there. As a result,
there is a distinct chance that that an expectant mother may be turned
down for a position simply because the employer doesn't want to deal with
all the hassles they expect to see. That's why it's a prohibited
question.

If a hiring manager asks about upcoming travel plans, it seems logical to
spin the question around to, "Is there a pressing schedule or some
specific times that they'd need me on site?" If you can pinpoint a
specific concern, then you can say whether or not you'll be available. I
admit, that kind of question sets the small hairs on the back of my neck
on end too.

- Lori

> Okay, so a recruiter asks me if I have any travel plans and that's okay,

> but it's not okay to ask any question related to child birth or time
> off for child birth?

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes.