RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "Joyce Fetterman" <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:40:05 -0800

It sounds like you are not excited about surprises. That's fine. I have no
problems with that. However, in my current environment, I have surprise
projects. This sounds like something you would not be good at, or at least
not happy about. And that's fine. You may not be the sort of writer I'm
looking for right now. Perhaps down the line when I get this group under
control, you may be exactly what I'm looking for. But right now, I need
certain talents and abilities. It doesn't mean you're a bad writer, it means
that you may not be what I'm looking for right now.

I'm not sure I should have to tell you that you might have to do a writing
test. I think it should be part of your expectation that it might happen for
any writing job you interview for.

A typing test, for example, is different. I would, and have, object to that.
I'm not a touch typist and how many words I can type per minute is
irrelevant to the job. I type as fast as I mentally compose and my first
draft is pretty clean. That's fast enough.

What we do is so much more than type so this would be silly. But we do write
and being asked to do that as part of an interview is perfectly fair, in my
opinion. Your opinion may be different.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting