RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:55:11 -0800

>>I also ask the serious candidates to complete an Emotional Quotient test.
>>There's are a couple of good ones on the Internet.

>Okay, I don't care about the writing test, but this would weird me out.
>I would immediately assume the organization was going to be too
>touchy-feely for my taste. I spent a summer at the now-defunct American
>Cyanamid going to workshops to find out if I was a Driver or and
>Expressive, and found out that I'm just a person who gets crabby in
>workshops.

>Just a data point.

In the early 1990s, two Ph.D.s published the term "emotional intelligence"
in the Journal of Personality Assessment. This term was used to describe a
person's ability to understand his or her own emotions and the emotions of
others and to act appropriately based on this understanding.

I've seen tests that measure EQ, but the questions were more personal than
professional (e.g., your partner breaks up with you, a friend borrows money
and won't repay it, etc.).

Speaking for myself, all of the interviewers that I've dealt with have asked
at least one question when interviewing me that assessed my E.Q.:

"What would you do if you had a tight deadline and the developers that have
the information you need are unavailable?"

"To make your deadline you are asked to work overtime on the same day that
you have plans for the evening. What do you do?"

I think we've all been exposed to E.Q. questions, but just never realized
it.