RE: Question of the Day

Subject: RE: Question of the Day
From: Lori Olcott <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:04:41 -0800 (PST)

This changes the example radically. If the person _offers_ the
information that they are expecting a baby, then the hiring manager CAN
decide that they can't meet the job requirements and choose another
applicant.

If the person doesn't offer the information, the hiring manager cannot ASK
about any medical condition (including pregnancy), since that is
considered personal and protected information.

Illegal Scenario:
HM - So Ms. Jones, are you or will you be expecting a baby in the eight
months?

Cagey Scenario:
HM - So Ms. Jones, do expect to take any time off over the next eight
months?

Legal Scenario:
HM - Due to our roll-out schedule, we will require the person in this
position to be on site every day for the next eight months. I'm afraid we
have to be very firm on this, and we really can't afford lost time. If
hired, would you be able to meet this requirement?

If the applicant answers with, "I'm expecting a baby in eight months," or
"We're taking a cruise this summer," or "No," the hiring manager is in a
safe position to turn her down for the job.

http://new.mail.yahoo.com