RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:27:16 -0500

Caroline Tabach [mailto:Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com] typed:

> I did give a writing (on a computer) test.
> We asked people to document some basic actions using
> Microsoft Outlook, presuming that most people are familiar
> with an email program,
> This would basically show whether people knew how to document
> things and knew how to run the spell checker!
> But we told them in advance that there would be a small test,
> because people have to plan for how long they will be in an interview.

I probably shouldn't admit this...

I use so many e-mail interfaces that I probably could not
tell you the _exact_ steps with the _exact_ menu items
and keystrokes to do anything in Outlook, unless I had
Outlook in front of me at the time.

Lessee now, Outlook, Thunderbird, KMail, and a couple of
proprietary webmail interfaces, including the old
Magma flavor (my longtime ISP) and the new flavor since
they were bought by Primus.

Whichever one is facing me, at the time, I settle into
working in that mode. But I don't actually have the
full interface of all of them memorized eidetically.
If anything, I keep a "diff" file in the back of my
head somewhere... :-)

So, if you weren't providing Outlook as a working aid,
I might flunk your test. But here I am using it just
fine, right now (and have for many years).

Kevin