Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: Re: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:42:35 -0800

I try very, very hard to discourage HR people I work with from doing
anything more than a cursory resume-vs-joblisting comparison to
highlight the candidates that appear to be "best matches" for me to talk
to (I also have them send me the ones they didn't think were a good
match so I can see for myself if I agree). If HR is to be the initial
point of contact with the candidate, what I want from them is

1) Discuss job description with candidate
2) Verify candidate's interest and availability for interview

If HR has any thoughts on anything the candidate says during this
process they can certainly tell me, but their job is not to try to
eliminate anyone until I've decided I'd like to go forward with
hiring and it's time to do the background check.

Obviously, not every manager works this way.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>

Alas, there is what _should_ be, and there is what _is_. The first step has
to be a removal of the obviously unsuited. That's why it's so important to
get our resume in front of the actual hiring manager, not just to the HR
office where it's their primary job to look for reasons to eliminate
applicants, not to select the best candidate.