RANT: Marketing!!!

Subject: RANT: Marketing!!!
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:08:28 -0500

ARRRGGHH. It's been one of those days. Has anyone else had their Marketing
Dept. decide they would make the header graphics for a WebHelp file, and do
it badly?

I still have steam coming out my ears.....I had to explain that, no, we
don't put all the titles in all caps, and yes, we need some contrast to read
it on screen, and that gray text on a gray background is not a good idea!
And no, we don't need a pretty heading graphic that takes up fully one third
of the top of the page with a type face twice as big as anything else in the
topic pane.
Years learning and doing usability to help my readers have a better shot at
understanding what I am writing, but "pretty" (their idea, not mine) is
winning.

. <Sigh.>

--
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!