Re: Customizing Help

Subject: Re: Customizing Help
From: "Samuel Wright" <lykoszine -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:42:33 +0000

Suzette wrote:
----
Our company writes custom software for the financial industry. Our
current (and potential) customers often ask for the ability to
customize the help files. Our help files document how the system
works, but the system is flexible enough that each customer may have
their own internal work processes, which they would like to add to the
help files.
We delivery our help in a web-based format, with the help files
residing locally on the customers' server.
----

If you look at the php documentation for example (php.net), which is
of course hosted remotely, they have user comments at the bottom of
each page. Fairly useful if you don't mind scrolling through pages and
pages of dross.

If you were to set up the help as pure html on a server, it should be
easy enough to add a similar feature using whatever server side
programming language you are comfortable with.