Paragraph numbering?

Subject: Paragraph numbering?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, wongword -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:32:17 -0500

Irene Wong wondered <<Ive started to scroll through the archives on par anumbering but so far I haven't found any references to research about preferred numbering systems ie sequential 1 , 2, 3, 4, etc or the structured 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1 Do you know of any references based on research or any really good articles on this topic>>

No research, but let's do a little thought experiment. In the current manual that you're writing, can you tell me (no cheating by looking it up) what topic would be covered by heading number 5.3.1? If you can't, then it's fair to ask what purpose the numbering serves. Now, a followup question: Assuming that you cheated and looked up section 5.3.1, and are now reading it. Based solely on the numbers, can you tell me what sections 5.2 and 5.4 cover, and what their logical/ practical/functional relationships are to section 5.3? Again, if you can't answer that question, it's fair to ask what purpose the numbering serves.

That being said, numbering can provide strong benefits when it is standardized and when it's necessary to refer to specific numbers that everyone recognizes and uses in their communication and thinking. Legislation arguably meets that test, as do standards created and imposed by various standards organizations. For journals that number their headings, the same rule applies: regular readers of the journals know what a section is based on long experience with reading and recognizing the numbers. I'm not convinced that saying "look in the section Methods, Applying for a court date, in Montreal" is any less effective or efficient than "look in section 3.1.3", but I have nothing other than opinion to support that skepticism.

The general information design principle is that we must add affordances such as numbers to support the reader. If the affordance does not support the reader, it is not useful and should be eliminated.

www.geoff-hart.com