Re: capitalization of 'web'

Subject: Re: capitalization of 'web'
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:08:23 -0800

Susan Hogarth wrote:

The capitalization of 'web' seems to be a matter of some contention:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=capitalization+of+web&btnG=Search

I'm agin' it. Arguments 'for'?

Sun style originally capitalized "web" when it was
referring to external web sites but called for lowercase
if it was referring to intranets or to general nouns
(e.g., "on your web page"). However, our writers found
this style so confusing that we figured the audience
would too. So, our style now is only to capitalize the
entire phrase "World Wide Web" and to lowercase "web"
everywhere else.

Regarding "Internet," we capitalize it because it is
the name of a protocol.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address