Re: How many technical writers wear different hats?

Subject: Re: How many technical writers wear different hats?
From: "Faith Wallis" <faithwallis -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Craig Cardimon" <cardimon720 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:10:17 -0600

Let's see...I have:
- wrangled MS Project into submission to help track projects and plan
projects for a manager (also played "the nag" when it came to completion and
close out of action items)
- packed boxes full of electronics components for my team leads to send off
to trade shows (soon to be released equipment - non-production for display)
- facilitated team meetings when the manager wasn't there
- provided technical support for MS Office applications for my peers (didn't
want to call the Helpless Desk)
- provided support to an engineer while he tore down a machine ("tool
monkey")
- supported 3-4 websites at different stages of development including 2
full-scale format changes/migrations within a year or two
- provided engineer-to-tech writer translation for the manuals department at
the client I am working at

...oh, yeah, and I have done alot of writing.... ;)

And this is just at the current client...

On 11/30/06, Craig Cardimon <cardimon720 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

<snip>
This got me thinking. How many technical writers out there find themselves
doing other things, say on a temporary basis? By other things, let's say,
"other duties as assigned."