RE: How many technical writers wear different hats?

Subject: RE: How many technical writers wear different hats?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: cardimon720 -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:19:06 -0500

> This got me thinking. How many technical writers out there
> find themselves doing other things, say on a temporary basis?
> By other things, let's say, "other duties as assigned."

Hmm.

I've helped 'hump freight' and direct traffic and disassemble/
assemble shelving and pull network cables and various other
bits during at least two company moves since I've been with
this current employer.

I've helped out with Engineering Testing.
I've been guinnea pig for a couple of software introductions.

In a previous gig I was the committee rep for a few hundred
people within a larger branch of the company went through ISO 9001
certification. Basically that ten-month 'part-time' task involved
pushing string and herding cats, attending a lot of meetings,
learning about disaster preparedness and recovery, etc., etc.
and writing, lots and lots and lots of writing, mostly procedures
and meeting agendas/minutes.

It's been pretty quiet for a year-and-a-bit. Must be time
I stuck my nose out or volunteered for something. :-)

As I write this on one monitor, the monitor next to it is showing
the snazzy new tank in the Dream Aquarium screensaver.
A bargoon at 20 bucks. Time to feed the fish.

Kevin