Re: Opportunities in Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Opportunities in Technical Writing
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: S G <sengoldie -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:36:49 -0500

On Nov 30, 2006, at 4:42 PM, S G wrote:

I have been looking at Technical Writing as a career, but although some of the information on the net is good, i was hoping i could get some real answers from people who work in the business.

Is the field of Technical writing growing? I finish my degree in 2 years so i would like a rough idea of if there will be jobs when i finish.

I know that outsourcing is an issue in the IT community, and this does relate, so what affect will outsourcing have on Technical writing?

What sort of hours can i expect to work?

Can you work part time?

What is the salary range from min to max you can theoritically earn?

Thanks for your time.

John

To answer a couple of your questions, Money magazine did a feature earlier this year on the best jobs, where "best" factored in growth in the US, salary, and relative stress. Technical writing, curriculum development, and editing (including technical editing) as three of the top 20 jobs of the next decade:

http://tinyurl.com/j6xfk

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Past President
STC Boston Chapter