Re: Opportunities in Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Opportunities in Technical Writing
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:54:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "S G" <sengoldie -at- hotmail -dot- com>

Is the field of Technical writing growing? I finish my degree in 2 years so i would like a rough idea of if there will be jobs when i finish.

I would say it is currently growing, but this comes on the heels of
several very tight years, so "recovering" might be a better word.
As for your desire to have an idea where things will be in two
years, welcome to the club.

I know that outsourcing is an issue in the IT community, and this does relate, so what affect will outsourcing have on Technical writing?

My view is that outsourcing will continue to reduce opportunities
in areas where documentation tends to be repetitive and not require
extensive knowledge of product technology.

What sort of hours can i expect to work?

Can you work part time?

All over the place. I know writers who put in 40 hrs a week and
writers who put in twice that much. As for part-time and other
alternative working arrangements, these will vary with employers
and your particular talents. As you are a student, I would strongly
recommend interning, which will both give you an idea what to
expect and provide possible opportunities to establish working
relationships with potential employers. Even companies that
are amenable to nonstandard work arrangements may expect you
to work standard until a level of confidence in you is established.

What is the salary range from min to max you can theoritically earn?

Again, all over the place, depending on your location and individual
circumstances.

Gene Kim-Eng