RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:59:40 -0500

John,

If you check back through the thread, you will see that it was not me who
made the "fox" comment that seems to have offended you.

If you were offended in any way by what I _did_ write, I gladly apologize.
I have nothing but admiration and respect for the contributions you have
made to this list and the technical writing profession.

I am also a person who is a straight-shooter and gives honest advice when
asked. The "experts" who discouraged me from openly discussing salaries did
so by terminating my job when they caught me breaking the "unwritten rule"
not to do so. Such things tend to stick with a person. I was attempting to
openly express my own discomfort with the topic and offer permission to
address it to other list members who might also be less than comfortable
with it, not an unwillingness to discuss it.

I have been paid $90,000 for contract work in New Jersey and I did receive
an offer to return there at a starting permanent salary of $75,000, so I do
know that the highly-paid jobs are out there and I never implied that they
aren't, or that they aren't well-deserved. You erred when you assumed that
I doubted the existence of such jobs, and you were rude when you assumed to
know what I think or feel about reaching for such jobs. Any time anybody
wants to know what I think or feel, just ask me -- but do not reach into my
brain and grope around without an invitation, please.

We do agree that salary is not the only measurement for "success" in any
profession. If a tech writer wants to live in a depressed rural area to
stay closer to family and be actively involved in the environmental and
economic future of that area, the salary might not match STC projections and
might have to be balanced against other considerations.

Your response was misdirected and inaccurate, but I do still admire and
respect you as a person and as a writer. Conflict is often (and usually) an
excellent way to reach better understanding.

When the offending comment was made I thought it was abrupt (and rude)
enough to be not worthy of a reply, and maybe not my "place" to reply. If I
may, I'll do so now:

"No, I wasn't thinking of anybody in particular. I'm sure there's more than
one, and there should be more than a dozen." That might have made it more
clear that somebody else made that comment and that I did not agree. For
failing to clarify that point by not replying, I also apologize.

Dori Green