RE: Opinions on Shipley and other proposal teaching courses

Subject: RE: Opinions on Shipley and other proposal teaching courses
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:30:01 -0500

Susan Hogarth wrote,

Any opinions on this outfit from people familiar with them?:

http://www.shipleywins.com/

******************

I attended their 4-day "How to Write Winning Government Proposals" course
back in the late Eighties. Still have the book.

I was more than a little disappointed that the major emphasis (for $1200
tuition -- thank goodness the company paid it) was on just three points:

1. Build a personal relationship with a representative of the granting
authority before you
even start the proposal process.

2. Make your proposal pretty but don't choose glitz over content meat;
don't leave them
asking "Where's the beef?" Glossy paper will not bring your proposal to
the top if
content is not there, but sloppy presentation might take it to the
bottom even with
the best content in the world.

3. Read the requirements very carefully and be very sure that you'll be
able to meet those
requirements -- especially the reporting requirements. Most granting
authorities want
proof that their money went where you said it would.

There certainly was more information presented, maybe it's just that these
were the three items that stuck with me. It might be impressive that they
"stuck" for such a long time.

Dori Green