RE: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!

Subject: RE: FRIDAY FUN: Snow day!
From: "Kathy Bowman" <Kathy -dot- Bowman -at- saabsystems -dot- com -dot- au>
To: <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:22:18 +1030

Dori Green wrote:

"Only guessing, but I think he meant:

"I would pass vehicles stuck in the meridian."

Many US 4-lane highways include barrier strips between the
directional lanes (N-S or E-W). These strips are known as "meridians"."

Meridian seemed off the mark so I went straight to the Macquarie
Dictionary to check my understanding of the word and found these
meanings:

"noun 1. Geography
a. a great circle of the earth passing through the poles and any
given point on the earth's surface.
b. the half of such a circle included between the poles.
2. magnetic meridian.
3. Astronomy the great circle of the celestial sphere which passes
through its poles and the observer's zenith.
4. a point or period of highest development, greatest prosperity, or
the like.
adjective 5. of or relating to a meridian.
6. of or relating to midday or noon: the meridian hour.
7. relating to a period of greatest elevation, prosperity, splendour,
etc.; culminating. [Latin meridianus of midday, of the south; replacing
Middle English meridian, from Old French"

In Australia, we call the barrier strips in the middle of roads 'median
strips'.
cheers
Kath