Re: CNET Editor Death Caused by a Technical Communication Mistake?

Subject: Re: CNET Editor Death Caused by a Technical Communication Mistake?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:02:48 -0500

Hickling, Lisa (TOR) wrote:

"This route closed in winter." Does this statement mean "effective first
snowfall" or "effective December 22"? Perhaps the meaning is generally
understood in that region, however, the warning on the ODoT map seems
open to interpretation and doesn't quite indicate whether the route is
patrolled during the period between first snow and first day of winter.

The problem, as I understand it, is not what the map said, or what it meant, but rather what the map they were using didn't say. The ODOT map indicated that the route was "closed in winter." As Bonnie pointed out, the Rand-McNally map they were using did not have the same warning. I can't say how experienced they were traveling through the coastal mountains, but it has been my experience that you stay on the major roads regardless of what the map says if you are unfamiliar with the area. (I used to live in Grants Pass, OR, so I know how quickly those mountains can go from fall to winter.) Hindsight says they should have turned around and backtracked to the turn they missed, but we have the advantage of hindsight. Unfortunately, Mr. Kim no longer has that option.

On the subject of "The route closed in winter," Lisa is right in there probably should be more clarity in what that means. Is it a set time frame, a snow limit, a combination of both? The meaning should be clear enough to interpret immediately. "Don't take this road after November 1st or you may die!"

The Rand-McNally map should also have included the warning, especially because so many people rely on it as their primary road travel resource. The warning won't stop everyone from taking the road, but it might stop families like the Kim's from experiencing a tragedy instead of a wonderful vacation.

Al
--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt