RE: Death Caused by stupidity Was: CNET Editor Death Caused

Subject: RE: Death Caused by stupidity Was: CNET Editor Death Caused
From: "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 09:19:29 -0500

I live in New Hampshire, and if the mountains of Oregon are anything like the White Mountains, I have to agree with Candis. Up here, we have problems every year with people who know the area getting into trouble. If you are not familiar with the area, you can get is life-threatening trouble very quickly. The weather can be perfectly OK in your location, and hell on earth just 20 minutes away. More than once I have traveled I93 through the Franconia Notch with whiteout conditions and traffic moving at 10 - 15 mph after weather forcasts called for good weather. BTW, 20 minutes later, in downtown Franconia, the weather was overcast but dry.

And it's not just the big mountains that can cause problems. Newcomers traveling across the southern part of NH are often shocked by snowfall patterns. In the southwestern part of the state, where I live, we either get the worst of any snowfall, or the least. This is due to the influence of Mount Monadnock. This is such a serious problem that the Monadnock region always gets special attention on Channel 9's weather forcast. Again, if you are not from an area, weather surprises can be dangerous.

As for the maps and lack of signs, dangers need to be marked both on the map and on the ground. NH DOT does a good job of marking seasonal roads, so do the many rural towns. However, in NH, they are required by law to clearly post any road that is closed or otherwise not maintained on a seasonal basis. Maybe that's a concept Oregon should look into.

Jason A. Czekalski