Re: "the following" or nothing -- what is IM's preference? (was:"Next" or "the following"... )

Subject: Re: "the following" or nothing -- what is IM's preference? (was:"Next" or "the following"... )
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:52:39 -0500

Quote:
"It's difficult enought to have
reasonable page endings with IM without having to anchor something to
something else in Word. Ack."

If the procedure (or whatever) rolls to the next page when I am doing the
final copyfitting, and it's marked as "below" when it is not, then that's a
problem. (Same with "above. " Do I break a page based on that statement?
No.)

I have to use Word with Information Mapping which makes weird page endings
anyway. Some pages can be one-quarter of a page, with the next one
completely filling the margins from top to bottom. Add "aboves" and "belows"
to that and you have a nightmare.

And, frankly, most workplaces don't allow the kind of time needed for any
more than generic statements that don't require excessive maintenance (for
aboves and belows). It has been at least 15 years since I have worked
anywhere that did it that way.

In online documentation, I chunk text more than I would for hard copy, so
there *is* no below. I prefer Gene's method anyway, which says:

Format the drive
1. Do this
2. Do this
3. Do this

:-)

On 12/11/06, Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security) <David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com>
wrote:

What exactly is your objection to "below?"

Bear