RE: ADMIN: Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)

Subject: RE: ADMIN: Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:07:11 -0500

Sometimes an e-mail discussion list is like a symposium with 400 people in
an auditorium, and sometimes it's more like the cocktail hour before a
chapter's formal program, where conversations start in one place and move to
another place altogether.

I freely admit to using a breezier, conversational style in my e-list
writings than in my manuals. The biggest reason is restriction of time,
another is the opportunity to receive and give feedback to correct any
misunderstandings that might result from a lack of editing or a
typographical error.

I have noticed that I and a few others are in the minority when it comes to
changing a subject line to accurately reflect the new direction of a
conversation. One of the very first rules of e-mail etiquette is to keep
the subject line congruent with the topic. Another is to limit e-mail
topics to no more than will fit in the subject line, and list all of the
topics in the subject line.

My own feeling on off-topic posts is that there will probably be fewer of
them if more posters will change the subject line when the topic actually
changes. I don't think I'm as guilty of starting off-topic posts as I am of
joining in because I love a good conversation and I have opinions on almost
everything. I do promise to practice more self-policing in this area.

Remembering to update the subject line ("...xxx, was YYYY") will make it
easier for us "party animals" to take note that the topic _has_ changed and
it's now moved into an area that is not suitable for discussion on the open
TW list.

Dori Green