Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)

Subject: Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:10:53 -0500

Jonathan West wrote:

Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:
This question arises because you are a lurker. Other than complaining
about inappropriate posts, I see about six posts from you, mostly
questions, not contributions to answers. You and many other lurkers have
occasionally come out of hiding to threaten leaving the list because of
one perceived trend or another. My question is this: Why should anyone
care?

In addition to the points Mary made in her response, I suspect that the
numbers of subscribers affects the advertising revenue obtained, and
therefore the level of service that can be provided to us. Be nice to
lurkers, their presence pays for the list!

I didn't take Dick's post as a slam to lurkers, but rather his opinion about a posting from a lurker who said she was leaving because she didn't like the way several threads progressed. His comment was "so what." Most of us have been upset with the listserv lately, where it seem that going off in tangents, or going for sarcasm instead of content seemed to take over. If a person is a lurker and never, or very rarely posts, then they really aren't contributing that much to the knowledge transfer anyway. If they want to leave, then, as Dick so rightly put, the list will not suffer. It will continue as it continued when regular posters left for personal or professional reasons.

As for the list subscriptions affecting advertising rates...probably, just like magazine and newspaper subscriptions affect their markets, but I don't see a mass exodus because most subscribers probably don't care that much either way. They only read the threads that fit their needs and either laugh at or delete the rest.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt