Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)

Subject: Re: Why I like this list but not OT (long)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:10:51 -0500

Mary Arrotti wrote:

I don't think it's fair to imply that someone who posts infrequently is a less valued member of the list. And it's not accurate to equate the value of posts with the number of posts.

I don't think I made or implied either of those assertions. My question was whether it affects the health of the list, positively or negatively, when a silent member of the list leaves. I see it as a nonevent. Announcing one's displeasure and leaving may make the person feel better. It may or may not be seen as rude (would you do it at a social gathering--"This party sucks; I'm outta here."?); but in the long run I don't see that it makes the list less useful to anyone else besides the person leaving.

Mark Levinson suggested that I'm wrong on two counts:

"He who is silent on the list is not necessarily
silent off the list. He may speak will or ill
of it. And he may eventually become an active
participant if one day he finds he has an answer
to offer that no one else has offered yet."

On the first point, my response is that I don't care what people say about me behind my back--nor should the list care--and that anyone hearing such a remark should consider the source. On the second point, my response is that people who merely post infrequently, for whatever, reason, are not really lurkers. That is, they don't go around bludgeoning people with their sanctimonious anonymity. And therefore they are not likely to be the people who leave in a huff when things aren't going their way.

Mary, I see that you have posted infrequently but constructively in the past. Like Gary, you are obviously entitled to your thoughts, feelings, and choices.

Just as obviously, everyone is welcome to disagree with me or to agree with me. I posed a question and provided my opinion as to the answer. That's all. It wasn't an attack on any individual.

Dick