RE: Documentation estimates

Subject: RE: Documentation estimates
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:20:37 -0500

Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep-Yep! to Dori's
account!

For almost 4 years, I was full-time at a foreign-owned (Asian) major
industrial warehouse equipment manufacturer as the only tech writer (I
had an "assistant" but he was useless - another story, another time).
Anyway . . . the only acceptable office arrangement (by dictate of the
overseas management) was cubicles (with 4-ft walls) for all; management
simply had taller walls (7 or 8 ft tall). My cube was only partly
visible to the vp of product support who routinely called me in to his
"office" in front of all if he didn't see or hear me actively typing
away.

When I explained (over and over and over . . .) that now that the Model
XYZ, 900-page parts book was finally completed (in FrameMaker), it took
a few minutes for the pdf to generate. And seeing that the computer
terminals we were stuck with were pretty much like a house of cards
(ready to crash unexpectedly), it was better NOT to begin typing
something else until the pdf was completed, so I was simply beginning
research and gathering papers on the next product.

It was like I never said a thing. He'd complain that we were behind on
getting the manuals out (even though draft copies of several books he
needed were sitting on his desk with everything else for his review and
he routinely bypassed and deleted what he regarded as "unimportant"
e-mails reminding him to please sign off on said books).

Remember the phrase "Book smart, but no common sense"? That was him. He
knows all the in's and out's of "management", but can't fathom the sense
of my several short minutes of precautions. There's nothing like trying
to recover corrupted files for a 900-page parts book, is there?

But I've had GREAT bosses, too. Except that they are too few and hard to
find. Congratulations to those of you who have one.

-- Ken in Atlanta