RE: Documentation estimates

Subject: RE: Documentation estimates
From: "Nathan Howard" <nathan -dot- howard -at- workcoverqld -dot- com -dot- au>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:23:05 +1000

Hi All,

This is my first post here but I thought it was as good as any to chime
in....

There is a standard for documentation development in a software context
(ISO/IEC 15910:1999 "Information Technology - Software User
Documentation Process") that says on average 6 hours per page (hardcopy
pages that is...) is a good estimate when information is 'undeveloped'
(ie you have to get it from people's heads or some technical design
somewhere). The 6 hours is from start to finish and includes:
- interviews and research
- draft writing
- creation of diagrams
- editing, proofing and finalisation

So when I do page count estimates, I simply multiply by 6 hours to get
an approximate estimate of how long the project will take from go to
whoa. This all fits neatly into a gantt chart so that I can tell
management when I need other people's time throughout the project.

This estimation takes into account everything involved in writing and
makes the 'word count' issue a non-issue.

Hope that helps.

btw - I am a tech writer based in the IT department of an insurance
firm in Brisbane, Australia.

Cheers,
Nathan

>>> <coliver -at- lexmark -dot- com> 13/12/06 23:48:08 >>>

Quoth Dori Green:
>I do remember that many years ago there was an article in the STC
Journal
>suggesting that as a _rough_ average, the figure of 7 pages per day
could
be
>expected from a good tech writer.

It seems that most standards are based on page count. Does anyone
estimate by word count?

- Clayton

format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient
content

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or
printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,
Web-based technology, and PDF output.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
nathan -dot- howard -at- workcoverqld -dot- com -dot- au -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/nathan.howard%40workcoverqld.com.au

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.