Re: Salary Question: Bonus?

Subject: Re: Salary Question: Bonus?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:37:34 -0500

Jon Steiner wrote:

For those of you not in the NYC area, it seems that a popular style of employee compensation is a bonus.

So, instead of offering a $50K salary, a company will pay $45K + 10% bonus.

This makes the 10% discretionary, of course. It also enables a company to compensate weak and strong performers differently (which is currently an extremely popular way to compensate employees.)

I'm a bit confused. I've had companies in the past offer a base salary plus bonus based on company profits. Is this what you are saying, or are you saying that if you do good, you could get up to an additional 10% of your salary as a bonus? If it's the latter, and you do good, you're saying you would make $49.5K with the bonus, still less than the $50K they would have offered without the bonus. Sounds like a way for the employer to make the employee work harder for less money. Maybe I'm missing something......

I currently contract and not in the NYC area, so the salary/bonus issue doesn't apply.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt