Re: RoboHelp?? Programs? etc.

Subject: Re: RoboHelp?? Programs? etc.
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Susan Seifert" <ss11 -at- lisco -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:36:03 -0500

Hi Susan:

I think we attract positions based on skills and also tools. Jim said his
last several positions have required Framemaker, but only one required
RoboHelp.

For me, I haven't used Framemaker on a job in over 10 years, but have used
RoboHelp on almost every tech writing job I have had.

I guess the question is, "what do you like to do?" I don't care for
Framemaker myself, but I love developing help applications with RoboHelp,
and am very good at it.

My job description is also Technical Writer - Business Analyst, and I have
case tools experience (Rational Toolset, like Rational Rose, Requisite Pro,
and so on) and have extensive experience writing product requirements and
use cases. I also an am experienced software tester. I *like* doing all
those things, and have been very successful finding "niche" jobs that fit my
skill set.

Good luck with your skills and tools update! If I had any advice to give, I
would say to really think about what you like in the tech writing field, and
focus on tools and skills to get you there.

Cordially,
PT

On 12/22/06, Susan Seifert <ss11 -at- lisco -dot- com> wrote:

I have been out of the techwriting field for about 10 years and wonder how
it has changed, what programs people are using, and so on. I have a
vintage
version of Robohelp that qualifies for an upgrade and wonder if anyone
still uses that.

I'm really curious about the types of documentation that are going on now,
and for whom, and on which software.

I apologize for that vague and rambling scope of my question. I look
forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Susan

Susan Seifert
susan -at- lisco -dot- com

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!