RE: MS Word Question -- about templates

Subject: RE: MS Word Question -- about templates
From: "DonaLuisa" <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:54:22 -0800

Where I work, our IT department has set Windows XP MS Office defaults so
that when all users, regardless of platform, select File > New they get
pointed to a directory/folder on one of our server drives that contains
all our organization's Windows templates.

We are hiring a temporary typist to help prepare some MS Word documents
that will be based on one of these templates, except for security
reasons he will not have server access. I plan to download from our
web-based repository a copy of the template to save onto the temporary
hire's machine.

The typist would then create new Word files based on the template stored
on the PC's hard drive, then upload completed files to our online
repository.

Here comes the question. Six months from now, long after the temp has
finished his work and gone away, coworkers may retrieve Word document
from the repository to save to their computers to revise. For style
integrity, should I train my coworkers to attach the server-based
template to the file before they revise? Will doing so help to maintain
consistent formatting styles? Does simply "attaching" the server
template via Tools > Templates and Add ins > [navigate to server
template] ensure that the revised file uses the server templates styles,
or do we also need to click the Organize button and copy template styles
to the file.

I have worked in Word for years, mostly self-trained, and I've never had
a resource to explain the "Templates and Add ins" functionality to me.
Most people I work with don't know it is there. Any suggestions on how
best to proceed (aside from ditching Word and using Frame, that is.)

TIA,
-DonaLuisa

1:34 PM