Re: Help with Manual Organization

Subject: Re: Help with Manual Organization
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: Stacy -dot- Jackson -at- choicepoint -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:28:21 EST

My suggestions and they are my own thoughts on the approach.

Having each document stand-alone and refer to a common 'base' document makes
a lot of sense. Also it makes it easier to make changes to one or all of
the documents if they all 'look-alike'.

I feel that making a Document tree showing the main document at the root,
and the plug-ins be 'branches'

Also MAKE SURE THAT YOU DESIGN THE STRUCTURE OF THE DOCUMENT FAMILY TO ALLOW
FOR CHANGES TO OCCUR AT ANY POINT.

A SINGLE Configuration Management structure should be applied to the entire
'set of documents' to be produced, including change management.

Your approach #2 is the best approach.

Here is how I would set it up.

(actual construction of all the 'documents' SHOULD follow the same style,
and present a common 'look and feel'.

MAIN DOCUMENT - Table of Contents (TOC)

Section 1 Generic information on the product

In this section have a descriptive 'paragraph' that 'lists' all of
the Documents
describing your product and plug-ins.

MAIN Document
Generic Description
User Information (Generic)
Setup information (generic)

(for each) Plug-in 1 - Document
Generic description of the Plug-in
Related/Required plug-ins (if there are any)
User Information (specific to the plug-in, and how it
relates to the main product)
Setup information (specific to the plug-in, and how it
relates to the main product

(Repeat as necessary)

Section 2. User information (generic)

Section 3. Set up information (generic)

Section 4. Installation Instructions (generic)

Section 5. Acronyms/Glossary (Master for all documents in the 'suite'

Section 6. Example of 'Generic installation', with a 'plug-in'

Section 7. Example of 2-3 installation Configurations, and related plug-ins

This section would include a tabular listing of the 'configuration
management' of the product, including plug-ins

Once the MAIN Document is set up, minimum requirements for updating would be
adding the description of the additional plug-in to the section describing
the Plug-ins (see (for each) Plug-in 1 - Document) above
------------------------------

Similar information would be produces as above for each plug-in.

PLUG-IN - Table of Contents

Specific description of the Plug-in
Related/Required plug-ins (if there are any)
User Information (specific to the plug-in, and how it
relates to the main product)
Setup information (specific to the plug-in, and how it
relates to the main product)

Again, this is the approach that I would take. After working with software
development and hardware development companies over the years - plan, then
execute the plan, with a minimum of diversions from the plan.

If there are any detailed questions relative to my approach, contact me off
list.

Hope this contributes to your effort.

Sincerely,

Harry