Re: What are your opnions about ComponentOne Doc-To-Help

Subject: Re: What are your opnions about ComponentOne Doc-To-Help
From: Klaus Nji <makaveli_0000 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: tech -dot- writer1 -at- verizon -dot- net
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:40:35 -0800 (PST)

I like DocToHelp but it is forcing me to use one of their embedded templates. I tried using one made in house but it did not like it. Maybe I have not yet spent enough time with the tool to see what format it wants for templates.

I admit though, that the tool is quick in producing its output formats. So far, the defeciences I have identified with D2H are:

- Version control for multiple users (check in and out)
- Word or HTML as main editors
- Rigiid PDF output format, though fast

Also, I have not been able to get my head wrapped around conditional text. Say replacing a Word 'Product X' with 'Product Y' based on a build condition. I know it does it, but how.

As we speak, I am also evaluating RoboHelp with the new release of 6. This is my first choice. D2H is my second choice.

Thanks.