From Technical Writer to Knowledge Base Editor -- Transition Resources?

Subject: From Technical Writer to Knowledge Base Editor -- Transition Resources?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:04:44 -0500

Fellow TECHWR-Lers,

I've recently been promoted from the position of "Technical Writer" to
the position of "Knowledge Base Editor."

The Knowledge Base and the position are brand new in the company. The
structure has been created and I had some involvement with the testing
of the workflows, which is one reason why the Administrator and owner of
the system were interested in me being the Editor (plus all the writing,
editing, formatting, and style experience). The Admin is also brand new
to the company, and since I've been around almost two years and have a
good rapport built up with many managers and supervisors in the
departments that will be the first to use the Knowledge Base, they
wanted someone familiar with the company and its procedures involved in
the article publication process.

During the testing phase of the project I went online and found several
Knowledge Management related sites, perused them, and bookmarked them
for future in-depth research. Now that I've been permanently assigned to
this project, I'm wondering if anyone on TECHWR-L has made a similar
transition, and if anyone on the list knows of some "must have"
resources and references for making such a transition.

I'm on digest mode, so feel free to cc: me directly if you have any
questions for me.

I'm also cross-posting this to the TechCommPros list.

Thanks so much!

Kenneth Nuckols
Technical Writer
Central Florida Division, Bright House Networks
(407) 215-8238 (Office)
(321) 356-2690 (Mobile)

65 S. Keller Road
Orlando, FL 32810