RE: FYA

Subject: RE: FYA
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:44:42 -0800

I think that I'm just having a Friday. I don't have any real work to document right now and writing a philosophical segue into intellectual property was much more interesting than reverse engineering application queries to derive business rules.

Okay. Just a couple of points.

I love etymology by the way, and I don't think that M-W.com is the best authority, but it was quickly available. I study word roots for fun. About your comment "wikipedia, the ultimate authority for bits on the web." Are you sure about that? Wiki can be edited by anyone so it gets a lot of flack for lacking credibility. Do you really trust it?

I don't think that Bach presented Minuet in G as his work, but he would play and take credit for the work of his students. Back then it was a great honor if your music instructor took ownership of your work. Petzold was an organist and essentially a peer or contemporary (-ish) of Bach. Someone in Bach's family or association wrote Petzold's tune in Bach's notebook. It wasn't Bach's handwriting. Later, Bach gave the notebook to his wife and from there it became known as Bach's work. In modern times, we might see the scratching of the melody in the notebook as the first publication of the melody and decide that the rule in Bach's time was that the owner of the publication owns the rights to the work. I dunno. Modern copyright law has taken a few not so attractive turns since then. Maybe Frazier's writing about shower curtains will reveal the subject as not being worthy of an essay and this is the last we will hear of the subject. Or not.

Lauren