Computer Assisted Translation?

Subject: Computer Assisted Translation?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Ashok Mathur <acmathura26 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:18:35 -0500

Ashok Mathur wondered: <<I have been approached by two of my clients if I could assist them in the task of translating some of work that I have produced. The language pairs that they are intended are English : German and English : Japanese for the moment. There is some interest in English : Swedish also... They are in a hurry and want my inputs if they should consider machine assisted translation?>>

The "in a hurry" bit sets off all kinds of alarm bells. You can't rush translation, and you particularly can't rush it if nobody planned for the translation right from the start of the writing. So your first task is to warn your clients that they're asking for trouble unless they're prepared to back off on their deadlines or pay an exorbitant amount to translators willing to give up their lives for the next several weeks and do a crash translation. Even then, you'll have some major quality issues if you don't plan for a revision and quality control phase -- which is going to take considerable time.

I'm a professional translator, but not an expert in the CAT technology per se; I have some custom tools I've developed on my own to support the kind of "boutique" translation I do (smaller jobs with less repetition of standard phrases). Thus, I can only provide basic advice from my own readings in this area and discussions with pros, not a practitioner's hands-on expertise with CAT.

Given that you're asking these questions, I assume you aren't an expert either, and that suggests that you'll need to be very careful about your involvement in this: don't give advice you can't back up from personal experience. My advice, particularly since your clients are in a hurry, is to talk to an expert rather than attempting to acquire that expertise yourself. I have no doubt that you could acquire the necessary tools expertise if you're given enough time to explore and master the technology, and if you know enough of the second language to work with that language, but neither is the case. So don't try.

<<4 What would be a way to judge the quality of translation produced and would the Judges have to be paid extra?>>

Any credible professional translator includes a quality control step in their work -- or if they're not capable of performing that step themselves, they'll have the ethics to tell you this so you can find a way to do that step yourself. But in both cases, the work is not free: someone has to do the work, and that means that someone has to pay for it. The cost may be a line item specified in a detailed budget, or it may be buried in the per-word cost, but the cost will always be there somewhere.

How to do it? Simplistically, you hire someone who is both expert in the local language or dialect of the translation and capable of using the product so they can ensure the docs make sense. They then rigorously go through the documentation looking for errors and difficult-to-comprehend text. Editors are often very good at this because they're experts in their own language, and _technical_ editors are good tool users. But if the editor hasn't worked in localization before, you'll have to clearly define the terms of what you're expecting: not so much rewriting as fact checking and polishing the text for clarity and consistency.

<<6 Would the best advise to the clients be that they forget Computer Assisted Translation?>>

No, CAT is a great tool for getting the job done fast and well -- it's particularly good when time is an issue because each new approved and verified phrase that enters the translation memory saves time whenever you encounter that phrase again. But it's not a magic bullet. You still have to build your translation memory by testing each phrase before it enters that memory, and you have to find someone capable of using the tool intelligently -- that is, using it to support the human translator, not to replace them.

You also have to start planning now for the next version of the docs: invest the time now on standardizing your terminology and editing the source (English) documents rigorously for consistency and clarity, and your next translation will make better use of the CAT you develop in the current effort, will be less expensive, will go faster, and will produce better results.

www.geoff-hart.com