RE: Numbered Lists in Framemaker 7

Subject: RE: Numbered Lists in Framemaker 7
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:29:25 -0700

Name withheld, posting as Kirk Turner [royj -at- alltel -dot- net], wrote:

> How do I prevent my lists from being numbered consecutively
> on the same page in Framemaker? I have two lists separated by
> a stem sentence, and I cannot find the setting that will
> format the second list to begin at "one."

Francois provided some hints. But your inclusion of the phrase "on the
same page" suggests you're not very familiar with FM and should do some
serious studying of this topic in the manual. FM's autonumbering
capabilities are powerful and flexible, and your question can be
answered several ways, depending on other design decisions.

Francois' second response, for instance, showed one way to have two
independently-numbered lists -- multiple counters. But a simpler way
(for most purposes) uses multiple series, each with a single counter. Or
you can combine the two strategies:

-- Use a single series with multiple counters for numbering tables and
figures, where you want to include the chapter number (e.g., Figure
3-7), or for outline (multi-level) numbering.

-- Use other series for simple numbered lists, procedure steps, etc.

Any number of pgf formats can be defined to reset a specific series to
zero, so you don't need a pgf with an <n=1> counter to restart numbered
lists. OTOH, you might want a separate first pgf format for other
reasons -- space above, keep with previous, etc. -- in which case,
restarting the numbering with it may make sense.

Book-wide series, like figures and tables, can be restarted (or not) in
each chapter using its numbering properties (do it at the book level).

Do you have a template? It sounds like you don't, which is too bad. FM
is much more powerful, flexible, and easy of use when you consistently
format everything in accordance with a well-defined template -- which,
of course, should have the appropriate pgf formats for numbered lists,
etc., already defined.

HTH!
Richard

------