Contracting and Health Insurance?

Subject: Contracting and Health Insurance?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:11:26 -0500

Beth Tripp wonders: <<I currently work through a recruiter so I can have health insurance. (I took a pay cut to ensure that I was covered.) What do other writers do that are self employed? Those in Canada need not reply. :o)>>

So "move to Canada" is out of the question, then? <g>

<<Can I become an LLC to get around the self-employed? Does anyone know a great insurance broker that can beat the system?>>

Haven't been following this thread, so pardon me if I'm repeating information here. That's really a question you need to ask an insurance broker. Any good one should be able to help you find insurance for the self-employed; many professional associations (not STC, unfortunately) offer this kind of insurance. It's much easier to find good supplementary insurance in Canada, of course, where "breathing" isn't considered a pre-existing condition that disqualifies you for health insurance.

I'm not just being facetious here (though I am bitching about the insane U.S. healthcare situation), as I do have something useful to add to the mix. The following information was contributed by Karen Lew on the copyediting-l discussion list:

" . . . Freelancers Union, offering members lower-cost health coverage and other benefits that many freelancers often have a hard time getting." See The New York Times for the whole story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/27/us/27freelance.html? _r=1&amp;oref=slogin
tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/2dr6gg

So perhaps these people are worth contacting. Best of luck!

www.geoff-hart.com