RE: California Contractors

Subject: RE: California Contractors
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:14:23 -0500

Here in New York "workmen's compensation" applies to _any_ worker -- W-2,
1099, contractor -- injured on the job.

State Unemployment Insurance is another animal and applies only to direct
employees (W-2).

Short and long-term disability coverage is also usually paid only to W-2
employees.

Which is why I fought about that "hey, you promised seven months ago to move
me onto the permanent payroll within six months". Beyond the general idea
that we all ought to keep our promises just because it's the right thing to
do.

Managers who are comfortably covered by benefits seldom have any clue at all
that this is an ISSUE for people who are not similarly covered.

Dori Green