Re: Ethics of posting samples?

Subject: Re: Ethics of posting samples?
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "CapDev Communications" <capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:13:34 -0500

Only safe way is to hand-carry the samples to the interview, keep them in sight all the time, and hand-carry them away. Any other method is unsafe. It'd be best if you had a permission letter from the former client allowing you to use the confidential docs that way. Anything else makes you careless and unethical.

An "obvious" alternative is to put them up briefly on a web site. For maybe 6 hours they'll be at www.xyzzz.com/sample but then they'll go away. But making them available without tight control speaks volumes about the care you'll give to the next client's confidential material. And the internet does not offer proper control, because there's no way you can *prove* that exposure didn't constitute unethical release.

I suppose you could build a totally different portfolio, but that would take months. Instead, go and work for somewhere that does not make unreasonable portfolio demands.

And what's the use of a portfolio? Wanna see my shell scripts for pasting together a web page? Wanna try to understand them? Wanna look at a bunch of database specification standards? Only the target audience can understand them, and only they can see any value in what I did with them. Most of my actual work apparently happens in
meetings where I ask stupid questions like, "So what part of this is different from the way everyone else does it?" or maybe, "Does anything I've written here actually make any sense?"