RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users

Subject: RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Caitlin Gannon'" <caitlingannon -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:27:53 -0800

It sounds like you want Word to be Structured Frame Maker. My guess is that
computers will become obsolete before Word matures to that level. However,
you can set your template to automatically update styles and reattach the
template. This will only work if the template is in the template folder of
each editor of the document. I haven't done this kind of protection myself,
but for some reason the protection existed on one of the networks where I
worked.

I would painstakenly update a lengthy document, take out all of the garbage,
add useful and functional styles, and, why did I have to?, align the left
margin correctly. Somebody would think that they knew how to use Word and
write and "add just a little bit of text." BLAM! My document was back to
using Normal.dot and everything was wrong. So if you can figure out how Net
Admins get "Normal" back into my document, then maybe you can figure out how
to get "Functional" to stay in your document. Otherwise, you will need to
create a policy for using your documents and template.

Lauren