RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users?

Subject: RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users?
From: "Turner, Katherine" <kturner -at- Metastorm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:41:25 -0000

I thought I'd just add some points to the discussion.

I've recently inherited a template with custom styles. The custom styles
have been setup to be used instead of the the default styles. For
example there are "XX Heading 1", "XX Heading 2", "XX Normal" styles.
I've come across a few problems and in the future will recreate the
template using default styles.

When creating a template, my advice is to:
1. Create a template that makes use of the default styles. The default
styles such as Headings 1,2,3 have built-in shortcut keys CTRL ALT
1,2,3. The Normal style also has a built-in shortcut key CTRL SHIFT N.
2. Default heading styles are automatically selected when using Adobe
Acrobat to convert to PDF.
3. The default styles are linked.
4. Any styles that don't meet the template styles can be seen in the
Style and Formatting bar (Word 2003).
5. Cross references work for heading styles (but the heading styles only
work if they are the built-in styles).
6. Create a document which explains which the purpose of each style
(this could also be part of the template).

Regards,

Katherine

Katherine Turner
Technical Author
The opinions expressed are strictly my own and not necessarily those of
Metastorm.

the system manager.