Re: Tips on Getting Hired

Subject: Re: Tips on Getting Hired
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ami WRIGHT" <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:22:37 +0530

Every job I have held has contributed to what I know and who I am as an
employee. The CV I use for publications jobs provides an insight into how I
have grown professionally, and how each successive job has built on skills
learned in a previous position.

My five-page CV is a concise map of my professional growth, where I do not
bother to provide details about my employer (a link to their web page should
suffice), or describe my role. I list achievements and highlight unique
challenges.

---------

Not everybody knows how to read a CV. Most just look at the data presented
and draw the easiest inference possible.

'You've moved around a bit," and "You seem to have varied experience," are
reactions my CV often elicits. The best insight, however, came from someone
I currently work with. "You seem to have been looking for meaningful work. I
think you'll like it here." She apparently correlated my achievements with
my tenure at various positions...

Well, she was right on both counts.

---------

I guess it isn't the length of your CV that counts... it's what you say with
it. Although conventional wisdom on the two-page length abounds, and when it
comes to managers and recruitment, sometimes sheep look like independent
thinkers in comparison...

Edwin

On 1/21/07, Ami WRIGHT <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net> wrote:

Tip #1: Don't send a 5-page resume.

Resumes should be a maximum of two pages. If yours is five pages, it
suggests that you are overly wordy, and have trouble prioritizing and
organizing information.

Ami Wright
"Technical" tech writer
American with international experience