RE: The 'user' in User Manual

Subject: RE: The 'user' in User Manual
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Combs, Richard'" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:04:18 -0800

I have never in my entire life heard, read, or been familiar with the phrase
"2nd person imperative." To be quite honest, I do not know what it means.
It has never been fully defined in this thread to the extent that I would
remember the definition and it is not used in everyday speech. (I am also
not interested in learning this term, once again, it is not used in everyday
speech.) I am, however, familiar with writing and voice. When I use
familiar terms to describe a concept, rather than textbook terms, then I am
not wrong. But your defense over terms that I have never heard is very odd
to me. What you are saying is that you cannot understand a concept, unless
I use a textbook term. All I can gather from this, is that nothing I write
will make sense to you because I am not familiar with the terms that you use
and you seem to lack the capacity to understand concepts that do not use
those terms. This is acceptable because I am not writing for you.

Please cite the message where, as you say, I said "Don't use 2nd person
voice." I said to not use "you" and that is in 2nd person voice. The
original discussion is about the use of the word "you" if you will remember.
I continued to say that it is best to take a neutral stance in
documentation. Neutral means that neither the author or the audience is in
the document. That means no "I," "You," "He," "She," "the User," etc.
should be in the document. Without specifying a direction toward author or
audience, the document is neutral. Neutrality was taught in technical
writing courses back when I studied technical writing in the early 1990's,
so I really never expected neutrality to be seen as a new concept.

Lauren