Re: Parallel OT list (was Re: ADMIN: Tech help request)

Subject: Re: Parallel OT list (was Re: ADMIN: Tech help request)
From: "iFaqeer (SIA)" <techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:59:17 -0800

Another vote for.

iF/SIA

On 2/5/07, John Cook <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

On 2/5/07, Eric Ray <ericjray -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> Side comment--would there be value in setting up a
> new parallel list for "off topic" discussions or
> technical discussions that aren't really tech
> writing? Now that we're free from Lyris, that
> would be straightforward to do. Let me (and
> Michelle) know what you think, please.

I am a member of two other lists that have spawned highly success OT
lists. It is natural for community to develop around a list, and just
as natural to develop a mechanism for keeping the mother list focused.
At face value, that introduces competing desires. The OT lists
alleviate that by allowing community to continue (and stray and
blossom) in a place that does not interfere with the purity of focus
on the primary list.

I joined the HATT list when I first made the leap to the TW / HA world
in 2000. The posts on the HATT were helpful and targeted, however,
the relationships that I made on the HATT off-topic list were, in
retrospect, even more instrumental in fast-tracking my professional
career (and opening up my mind on disparate topics like politics and
culture). I literally would not be the person I am today if not for
the ability to delve a little deeper with other professionals on
topics that ranged from shop-talk to all the other things that
interest smart, diverse people. The generosity of that group really
helped me to get through the early years as a writer, as well as
learning how to deal with 9/11 and everything that has happened since
then.

Having an OT list is not for everybody, but it does add another
dimension of service and options to the larger community.

--
John Cook
Technical Writer / Help Author

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/techdarwaish%40gmail.com

[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
-----------------------------------
Cell: (510) 304 5927
Web: http://iFaqeer.wikispaces.com/
Blog & Podcast: http://iFaqeer.blogspot.com or http://pkblogs.com/iFaqeer
Urdu Podcast: http://AzadKarachiRadio.blogspot.com or
http://pkblogs.com/AzadKarachiRadio
poochha joe mainay aap ka parda woe kyaa huwa
kehnay lageen ka aql pay mardhon kee par gaya
[Asked I, your veil, what became of it?
Said she it sits, now, on the minds of menfolk]
Akbar Allahabadi, Urdu/South Asian/Muslim Poet