Re: Simple(Stupid) CSS Question!

Subject: Re: Simple(Stupid) CSS Question!
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:25:41 -0500

Hi, Shelly :-)

I use tables to hold my text and to prevent problems with resizing. I've
been trying to use CSS to manage my styles within the table. For the
text within a table, I know that I can specify the font style, size and
color. However, as the rows in my table are going to hold my headings,
paragraphs, notes, tips etc. - can I specify different font styles for
each of these elements. I've been playing with this, and it seems to me
that the font style for the table overrides individual style settings
for all the other elements.

In your CSS file:

[table] controls all tables
[tr] controls all rows
[td] controls all cells

The easiest way to control different rows and cells is to combine the
table/td/tr selectors with classes. For example:

td {width: auto;}
table { width: 95%; }
table.info {width:80%;}
.tableheading {
font-weight: bold;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
background: #f1a687;
color: #000;
}

For rows that you want to tag with ".tableheading", code them as:

For tables that should use the ".info" class, code them as:

Note: I only specify fonts for those items that I want to be
different...I don't specify them on every selector. Instead, I add the
font stuff to the body tag in the HTML file, and let inheritance
control it all.

For more information, see fellow Help MVP Frank Palinkas' tutorial on
accessible CSS tables at
http://frank.helpware.net/#Creating_Accessible_Tabular_Data_Tables.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquires sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2006-2007 Microsoft Help MVP
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com