Re: XML - Is there a way to use parameters?

Subject: Re: XML - Is there a way to use parameters?
From: "Katie Kearns" <katie -dot- kearns -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:22:27 -0800

On 2/6/07, Brian Modreski <brian -dot- modreski -at- openlogic -dot- com> wrote:

What I would like to do is be able to define an XML entity that can have
a 'parameter' to be filled in when the entity is referenced.

For a really simple example, lets imagine that what I want is something
like this:

<!ENTITY Critter "<![CDATA[The animal: ]]> &animal; <![CDATA[ is a ]]>
&type; <![CDATA[.]]> ">

I'd love to help you, but I think I need a little more information about
your set up and how it's going ot be used. How are you going to trigger the
dynamic nature of it? You can do something like this a lot of different
ways, but it really depends on your set up, when you want to make the
substitution, and how you want to use it all. Is this for handling a sort of
conditional text in order to generate multiple variants? Or will it be an
on-the-fly dynamic content generation sort of thing? What tools are you
using? Etc. :)

-Katie, XSL geek